Pages

Dec 14, 2011

facts of life: homecoming

Since the early stages of preparation of this project, I kept adding items to my wish list for our Riga stop. One of which, of course, was the place of accommodation.

The group is hosted at the Prima dorms in the ill-reputed Moscow district of Riga. This is where exchange students usually live, and this is where I lived.


(Actually, in the building across the street)

Throughout the trip I told many stories to my friends about the time I spent here. Tried to describe the place the best I could, but always promised to show them. Now I have the opportunity. I still remember the city, I can drive around from place to place without getting lost or wasting much time, I surf the 15th trolejbuss like a younger version of myself and find my way to the old French bar before you can say "apple pie".

Ever since I returned to Portugal, hardly anyone I knew from Riga came to visit. It's a shame, really, since I still have a sealed bottle of Kaznacheyskaya I took with me on June 10th, 2007 - for that one special occasion.

Now, after such a long time, I get to show Riga to the people I met on this trip. I'm welcoming them to a place I once called home (still do) and it feels wonderful.

I suppose this is what happens when you live abroad. You find a new home everywhere you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment